Saturday, August 23, 2014

More fairing, cradles

Oddly enough, boatbuilding is slower in summer... anyway, two hours today during which we started the cradles for the amas and did some more fairing. First thing was the building of a fairing board, using some scrap 10 mm plywood and some leftover fir. It took 20 minutes to build it from scratch. Here it is

And here's a close up of one of the ama chines after fairing with 120 grit sandpaper.

Finally, we drew the two ama cradles starting from the bulkhead outline to which we added the thickness of butt blocks and hull panels, plus some mm allowance. We made two cardboard templates. We decided to make two separate cradles, both on wheels, in order to be able to use them on both amas (remember: the ama sections are asymmetrical).

Total work time to date: 152 hours

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Disassembling the "flat out" table

At this point the flat out table, i.e. the very first thing we built, is no longer necessary so we disassembled it. The two ama hulls are still light enough to be lifted and moved around by the two of us without much effort. I would estimate a weight of 30-35 kg each. Here's your truly between the two hulls.

Next thing will be the construction of cradles to put the amas rightside up to glue up the deck.

Total work time to date: 150 hours

Saturday, August 2, 2014

More fairing

Only one hour today, to continue fairing the bottom edges and to round the stem/keel corner. Here they are after some coarse electric planing followed by Surforms. I shaped the first by eye and then did the second using a cardboard profile of the first.

Regarding the chines, the plans specify rounding with radii ranging from nickel to baseball sizes. Since we are very professional, here are our gauges

Total work time to date: 147 hours