Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bolting the aka support blocks

Three hours of work today to drill the holes to bolt the aka support blocks to the vaka hull. It takes some mumbling over the drawings but at the end we did it and drilled 8 holes through the blocks and the hull sides with a 10 mm bit. Those bolts are necessary because otherwise those blocks would only be glued to the hull sides, so the outer plywood skin would take all the stress.
One has to take care to bore perpendicularly to the hull sides so the two of us checked the perpendicularity from two sides. Here's a pic which shows the two rear blocks with the bolts.

We then removed the bolts and gave a double coat of resin to the blocks and to the holes. When the resin sets, we'll install the bolts caulking both ends with 3M5200.

Total work time to date: 391 hours

Monday, February 15, 2016

Aka support blocks

Five hours of work between saturday and today, in which we glued the aka (beams) support blocks to the vaka (main hull). The instructions are not very clear on the sequence. The plans recommed to glue those blocks to the hull with thickened epoxy AND to fix them using 2 10 mm bolts for each. We will drill the holes after the glue is set.
 Here's a view of the forward blocks clamped to the hull, taken on sunday afternoon

and here is a view of the rear blocks clamped, while the clamps have been removed from the forward ones.

We also checked the planarity of the deck stringers and double coated a few parts in the hull which had been left uncoated. We're now ready to finally glue the deck on the vaka.

Total work time to date: 388 hours

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Decking the vaka (3)

We actually worked also last week's saturday (2 hours) as well as yesterday (2 hours). We're about to glue the decks on the vaka. So we took measurements, mumbled a lot and decided to buy two identical plastic hatches (460x510 mm) for the rear and forward deck. We then cut the two openings on the decks. Here we are at the beginning

Here is the forward hatch opening

and here's the rear hatch opening

We then gave a double coat on clear resin to the underside of both decks, which are now ready to be glued on the boat.

Total work time to date: 383 hours