Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Daggerboard and trunk

Four hours today in the shop. I first realized an idea I had to correctly streamline the daggerboard. Given thickness and width (35mm x 405 mm) I computed the relevant NACA profile on this web page:

and converted it in real world measurements

Then, using the circular saw, I made cuts following the table I had previously computed which gives distance from the board edge and depth. Those cuts will guide us when we'll start to remove wood wid the power plane.

I did the same on the opposite side but I'm sure I screwed up something because it's very easy to make mistakes when it comes to properly position the saw w.r.t. the edge. For instance one has to take into account the thickness of the blade when cutting on the leading side or on the trailing side. No big deal but I'll have to think about that.
I then scribed the protruding part of the daggerboard trunk using some scrap plywood.

Cutting that stuff though won't be very easy because there's no elbow room in the inverted hull, so we'll have to use a small hand saw and a lot of elbow grease.

Total work time to date: 322 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment